Jump to Bays & Dunes - Main Jump to Hills & Harbours Routes Dining Lighthouses Trails Golfing Beaches Accommodations Festivals & Events Attractions Introduction Hills & Harbours Dark Blue Route Hills & Harbours Red Route Hills & Harbours Purple Route Hills & Harbours Light Blue Route Hills & Harbours Orange Route Island East - Main

 


From Route 3 onto Route 24 to Uigg onto 315 to Wood Islands onto Route 23 to Iona
The County Line Road
Location: The designated portion of this road (Rte. 325) begins at Caledonia at the intersection of Rte. 315 and runs north for 2.6 km until it intersects with Rte. 317.

The name “County Line” derives from the fact that it is on the boundary of the two counties’, King and Queens. A drive through the County Line Road offers many vantage points for viewing the surrounding countryside. Midway along the road is a small but lovely hardwood stand. This road has been designated as a scenic heritage road.

In earlier years horse-drawn carriages transported passengers along this lane, at the time bordered by beautiful hardwood stands that arched overhead to form delightful canopies. The area has changed little over the years and the locals still use this road as a shortcut to other areas.

The County Line road derives its name from the fact that it is on the boundary of the two counties, King and Queens.

The Klondyke Road
Location: For 4.9 km the Klondyke Road travels roughly in an east-west direction from the Selkirk Road (Rte. 23) south of Iona, to the Murray Harbour Road (Rte. 24)


Uphill and down, the Klondyke cuts a sturdy swath through a border of sugar maple, birch and spruce. Foxes, squirrels, raccoons, and hares have a secure corridor amid the trees and lower vegetation, as they scurry from one woodland thicket to another.

In the early 1900’s, sawmills and several homesteads were located here. Colonel Weatherbie, known in military circles as the “Father of Canadian Munitions” due to his experience in that field, was the last settler to live on the road. His homestead, now abandoned, was once a welcome retreat where visitors enjoyed the beautiful flower gardens and the musical talent of the family.

The prohibition of the 1920’s and 30’s set the scene for another activity – rum running! Under the cover of darkness, the rumrunners would steal along the darkened road hiding their contraband in a secure place. A rag would be tied to a tree indicating the hiding spot.


www.benslake.com